Custom Cross Section

Here you can post information about steel design

Moderators: Martynas Sudzius, StruSoft Fredrik L, StruSoft Bocskai, StruSoft Richard, StruSoft Iwona Budny

mnos
Novice

Custom Cross Section

Postby mnos » 08 Nov 2017, 13:27

Hello,

I am trying to perform steel desgin on custom cross sections. When I run steel design, this message comes up:

"Warning: Steel design calculation is not implemented for this section."

Why is this happening? I watched your video "Use Section Editor"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP2Fin7zUMQ, and it seems like his cross section is automatically prepared for the steel design module. What am I missing?

In my case, I am trying to model two U-profiles welded together and forming a hollow section.

Martynas Sudzius
StruSoft Employee

Re: Custom Cross Section

Postby Martynas Sudzius » 09 Nov 2017, 12:03

Hello,

Well, it depends if program is capable of designing particular cross section. There are some limitations.
Could you please share what kind of cross section you are trying to create? Maybe i will be able to help you.

Have a great day!

mnos
Novice

Re: Custom Cross Section

Postby mnos » 15 Nov 2017, 08:25

Thanks for your quick reply. Here is a picture showing one version of the two U-profiles merged together:

2U10.png
2U10.png (9.43 KiB) Viewed 40 times

Those profiles are merged together like it was done in the mentioned video example.

When I followed the example with the double I-profiles, I was indeed able to perform steel design checks.

Maybe it has something to do with the shape of the surface where the sections are welded together? When I deleted the curved part where the cross sections meet and replaced it with a rectangular steel part, this still didnt work.

Return to “Steel design”